Sunday, April 27, 2014

#4 Final Summary/Reaction


After completing my observations and survey, I concluded that many people were not familiar with the term "colorism". Only two out of the twelve who took the survey said that they knew the term "colorism" and the rest said they were not familiar with it. The results for being discriminated based on their skin color were split. Fifty percent said that they had been discriminated against, while the other half said they had not. About ninety percent of the survey-takers said that they see forms of colorism take place in the media, today, such as photoshopping skin tones to make them look lighter. As well as a survey, I also went to the mall to see if darker-skinned people were treated unfairly in certain stores. I mostly wanted to see if employees would help the lighter-skinned customers first. Overall, I did not notice too many instances of discrimination in stores, but there were a couple of times where employees did go to help the wealthier looking customers, who also appeared to be lighter-skinned. 

I was able to find what I thought I was going to because my results came out extremely similar to my hypothesis and predictions. I predicted that many people would not be familiar with the term "colorism", would only think about colorism if they were brought to the attention of it, and that lighter-skinned customers would be helped first. All of these predictions were proven correct with the help of my observations. After this semester, I feel very comfortable with my topic and that I have learned a lot about it. Before learning about colorism, I had not heard of it so it was interesting to learn something new. Learning about colorism has been very interesting and made me think even more about the photoshopping and discrimination against darker-skinned people. Now that I have more information, I hope to inform other people about this topic, who are not familiar with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment